Saturday, July 16, 2011

patrice, katie, and the case of the monster zucchini

As I mentioned, I picked this from my (teeny) garden early last week.


Katie and her girls came for a visit on Friday, and we decided to tackle that big boy.











The seeds were the size of pumpkin seeds...




So Katie took to them with an ice cream scoop.






We ended up making three types of zucchini bread, saving the rest of the recipes for our zucchini yet to come.




We got 8 CUPS of shredded zucchini out of that one giant monstrosity, and we made all of this.

Katie's comment she just posted on my original post of the photo.
Oh yeah, zucchini?  You were no match for a knife, a veggie peeler, an ice cream scoop and a vitamix.  No, I don't want to hear that it was four against one.  You lost.  And you are in. my. belly.

Good times.

Here are the recipes we used:
Chocolate Zucchini Bread (from Kim aka bakingmommy)
3 eggs, 1/2 cup canola oil, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 cups raw shredded zucchini, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 cups flour, optional is 1/2 cup raisins. Combine wet and then add dry. Bake in greased bundt pan or 2 loaf pans at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

Zucchini Bread (from Kim aka bakingmommy)
2 eggs, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 2/3 cup canola oil, 1 3/4 cup shredded zucchini, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups flour. Combine wet and then add dry. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes in greased loaf pan.

Zucchini Bread (from my friend, Gaye)

3 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 c. zucchini (peeled and grated)
2 c. flour
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. finely chopped nuts
Beat eggs until light and frothy.  Add sugar, oil, and vanilla, mixing until thick.  Add zucchini and stir thoroughly.
Sift flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and salt.
Add to egg mixture, stirring until smooth.  
Stir in chopped nuts and lemon rind.
Bake in 2 greased and floured loaf pans about 1 hour at 350 degrees.    

Anyway, if you're like me and want something besides fried, baked, or sauteed zucchini, I hope you like these. I'll share more as I try them.

Matt and I went to our first class today, and it was very good. I'm exhausted though and we're going to try to make it to church, so I'm going to head to bed early. Hope you are having a good weekend. Happy Baking!

No comments: