Monday, May 2, 2011

what a day

Wow, what a day, huh? So much to think about, so many mixed emotions. Once again, I get discouraged with the hate and negativity that come out in times like these... hate towards other humans (bin Laden, folks we disagree with, our government). Hate towards our President, you know the one we're supposed to be respecting and praying for? Yeah, that one.


I am glad Bin Laden can no longer continue his regime. Do I think this is the end? Not a chance. Am I more nervous than I've been in a long time about our security as a nation? Yeppers. I don't feel in any way that the killing of Osama bin Laden is "justice" or "closure" or the beginning of a greater peace. I am glad he can no longer scheme and lead in terror attacks. I just wish that meant the terror was over.


More than anything, I'm saddened by how many rejoice in his killing, as if his death is any more deserved than mine or yours. One day we will all face a wrathful judgment and I have a hard time praying "Forgive my sins as I forgive those who sin against me," when forgiveness is a hard thing for me and hate can reign supreme. As a disciple of Christ, I should never rejoice in the death of another human being unless I know that they have an intimate relationship with the Savior, and for them, death is a victory. I pray that is the case but am saddened by the greater possibility that it wasn't.


I don't really want to talk much more about it. I am so sorry of those who lost loved ones on 9/11 and for those who have lost their sons and daughters/wives and husbands in the wars that have followed. But I just can't rejoice in the death of a man who most likely did not know Jesus. A man who is facing now what someday we'll all have to face - God's righteous judgment. 


Thanks be to my Jesus, whose grace is going to wash all my crap away on that day. I don't deserve it. I deserve death and eternity in Hell. I'm so thankful my God will not seek "justice" and that I won't get what I "deserve." 


I loved this quote a friend posted on Facebook today:
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr.


Sounds like Dr. King knew my Jesus. :)


(I also want to add that I know many are not celebrating his death, but just the fact that he can no longer terrorize and that they feel justice has finally been served. I'm not trying to be judgmental and say that it's wrong to feel some relief or whatever you want to call it. This is just the stuff I've had to process and work through today. I apologize if any of it sounds insensitive to those who may have lost loved ones. Just to clarify. :) ) 

No comments: