Wednesday, July 28, 2010

more than you want to know

Katherine always seems to help me out when I feel I’m in a bloggy slump. I know that my posts, as of late, have not been very riveting (or “ribbiting” as I said to my sister this week after she said she rescued a frog out of the pool at camp… what? That’s totally funny. Matt didn’t think so either.). Anyhoo, she had these questions and answers posted on her blog and told those reading to consider themselves “tagged.” As I am not one to (often) ignore a (not-so-official) tagging, it was my bloggy duty to follow her lead. (Warning: this is long and possibly not that interesting… I don’t know seeing as how I haven’t answered them yet… so feel free to skip this one.)



What experience has shaped you most and why?
I guess this one is an easy and obvious one for me…


Receiving my GPS. Without a doubt, this little apparatus has greatly changed my life for the better. Without it, I seriously don’t know where I’d be. Get it? As in “I’d be lost”? But in the physical rather than metaphorical sense. Get it? Oh yeah, and motherhood has changed me a lot too… mostly for the better though I do find there are days now when I cuss like a sailor.


If you had a whole day with no commitments, what would you do?
Unbeknownst to Matt, I’m currently planning a day for myself like this. Because that’s just how utterly selfless I am. I’ll have to do dressing change because that just can’t be helped but THEN, I’m going to go get a greasy breakfast and read a book while I eat and nobody is allowed to talk to me. THEN, I’m going to go to a used bookstore and take forever perusing the aisles, lovingly touching all the book spines, and picking out several books of my very own. THEN, I’m going to go to a few scrapbooking stores and spend way too much money. THEN, I’m going to meet some girlfriends for lunch, and we are going to spend the afternoon shopping and hanging out. And we will also spend way too much money. And then I will come home, help get Jonah fed and ready for bed, and then I will go to bed early and get approximately 9.4 hours of sleep. Ribbiting, I know.


What food or drink could you never give up?
Mexican Food. I know that’s a whole category rather than one single food, but seriously, I couldn’t give up tortilla chips or pico or enchiladas or burritos or refried beans or tacos or any of it. It’s all so magically delicious, it really wouldn’t be fair to isolate just one Mexicanny goodness. And those who know me also know that asking me to give up food, any food, is like asking me to please just stop breathing. Thusly, this is a difficult question.


If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?
This one is hard too. I’d love to go to Hawaii (my hopes for our ten year anniversary) the most. But I’d also like to go back to Mexico and Argentina and to the rest of the Spanish-speaking countries. I’ve only been to Mexico, Nicaragua, and Argentina. Spain would be awesome, and I’d also like to go to Ireland. But if I had to choose JUST one, okay, Hawaii. Fine.


Who do you have a crush on?
Jonah. Also known as Jonut, Baby J, the J-Man, Sweet Babe, Jumping Jonah, Ja-nonah, and J-dizzle (okay, I made that last one up.)

(And also, Marky Mark.)


If you were leader of your country, what would you do?
I have no idea because I would never ever want that job in a million years. I feel so sorry for the President and all of the past ones actually. People criticize them too much and pray for them too little. I’d definitely have to start by making regular hair-coloring appointments for when my hair started to go gray.


Give me one savory recipe that doesn’t include cheese.
I can’t. The Squash Muffin one is pretty good, but I don’t think you can even describe a recipe as “savory” UNLESS it has cheese. On second thought, I bet those muffins would be pretty good with some cream cheese. It definitely wouldn’t hurt!


What did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
It was actually always a teacher, I think. I was an idiot.


If you could spend just one day in someone else’s body, who would it be?
I would say somebody who had a really sexy body, but then I would probably choose the day of her hardest workout routine, and honestly, that just doesn’t sound like fun to me. So, I think I’d pick somebody who’s funny and most everyone loves. Tina Fey would be good. But I guess she kind of has a sexy body too. (Shut it, Matt) So I’d just choose to be Tina Fey on a relaxing, binging, off day, because she’s going to have to deal with the leftover calories from her day off, not me. (And also, she knows Marky Mark… “I bet you do all kinds of right.”)


Which woman writer, living or dead, do you admire most?
Julia Alvarez. Look her up. She’s Dominican and her stuff is so good.


What character trait inspires you the most?
The word “inspires” makes me want to throw up a little bit, but I like when people are really honest and funny and real. And randomly break into a Bon Qui Qui voice and cuss at random. (MS, I am talking to YOU.)


What is your favorite kind of music?
I mostly listen to Christian, but music-wise, it’s not my favorite. I like stuff from the late 60’s and early 70’s and also dig some older country (90’s) now and again… but mostly just for karaoke purposes.


What is one fact about you that most people who know you wouldn’t guess?
I am a very difficult person to live with and extremely moody. Or maybe people would guess that. Maybe I only THINK I’m good at hiding it. Another is that I have major teeth issues. MY teeth are in great shape, but I have serious MENTAL issues with people talking about, wiggling, or showing me loose teeth. I have recurring dreams that my teeth are falling out. My sister does too, so at least I know I'm in equally crazy company.


If money were no object, what's one thing you don't own now or can't afford to do that you'd like to have or do?
Is it way pathetic that my first thought was a mini-van? Yep, I’m just that exciting. But seriously, if we ever do get one, I will probably wet my pants from excitement.


I think I’m supposed to make up my own question for the end, but I just don’t have the brain power to do that. Feel free to consider yourself tagged though. If you are as desperate for blogging material as I am, this will make your day. It did mine.

____
Jonah's good, but we just put him to bed and he immediately threw up all over himself. Clean up was a pain. Thus the lack of brain power. So tired. 

18 comments:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I love Qs and As. I love your As.

Unknown said...

i was reading this post and saw that you have over a million views! holy cow girlfriend!

Brittany said...

Girl, I am totally with you on the mexican food. Yummy! I think I am going to go make some pico right now :)

Cristi said...

I am soooo with you on the Mexican. Could definitely have it twice weekly, no problem.

Also with you on Hawaii! We always talked about going there for our 25th wedding anniversary. But it has come and gone. Sniff sniff So dont let that happen to you!

Have Mexican food now, and go to Hawaii soon!

Unknown said...

I love the question and answer bit. I too couldn't live without Mexican food--tamale is my favorite along with a really good chili rellano.

Rebekah said...

I have that same dream about my teeth falling out. My sister has it too. All. The. Time. It stresses me out a lot!

Miriam said...

you have a great sense of humor...and Mexican food is a keeper.

Laura A said...

Loved this! Mexican food would be hard to live without, but chocolate and Diet DP would be even worse for me. :)

Hope Thursday is a good day for you and sweet Jonah!

Love,
Laura

Katie said...

Marky Mark...hehe!

Unknown said...

If you come to Hawaii, you'll definitely have to visit me! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have the teeth falling out dream too. I used to work with the elderly. I could tell you some teeth stories that would curl your toes! The funniest though is my own great grandma. We could not find her dentures. She was mostly bed-ridden so where could they have gone? They were under her boob.

Wanda Wilkinson said...

You crack me up..when you grow up (haha) you should be a stand up comedian....

Laura said...

I have the reoccurring teeth falling out dream as well. So stressful. I believe there is suppose to be meaning behind it, but I don't remember what it is or feel like looking it up.

I don't think your day to yourself is lame. If it's fun for you that's what is important. Matt and I are getting our first weekend away from Eli(he turns 5 in 2 weeks) and we are planning to just stay in town and go to movies, plays, and eat at restaurants that Eli wouldn't like. Hope when you get your day that it is great!

Laura S.

brightleigh said...

Great post. You don't give yourself enough credit though. You are a great teacher. Think of the education you, Jonah, and Matt have given us about EB and how to lead a faithful life. :-)
Love you guys!

Ellie said...

I have the same dream about my teeth, like all the time!! They are crumbling, and falling out. It's scary (in the dream, but when I'm awake cause I wonder how crazy that dream makes me)!

The Smittys said...

you are a f-ing trip. the minivan is totally worth wetting your pants for. :) let's hang out again soon, especially if greasy food, used books and scrapbooking are in the plan. ;)

jennypen said...

*gasp*...You cuss?

Love the GPS comment. You're a funny girl.

kim_brough said...

Oh no you didn't reference Bon Qui Qui in this post. Just when I thought you couldn't get any more awesome!