Wednesday, December 28, 2011

long day

Today was a long but good day overall. My youngest sister, Shaina, has had a cyst in her throat for a couple years (although it only came back a few months ago) that she had to have surgery to remove today. She was intubated and the surgery lasted over an hour and a half, but things seem to have gone well. Thankfully it was an outpatient procedure, so after several hours in a room, she was able to come home.

She's tired, weak, and in some pain, but drugs are good, and we think she's going to make it!

I got to the hospital around 9:30 with Jonah (got up at 5:30 to shower, got him up at 6:15 to do new wraps and breakfast tube feed) and spent the whole day (until 3:30) chasing an almost three year old around busy waiting rooms. That's not true. I did take a 45 minute break to tube feed him in his stroller (that was sarcasm). He did well, but was FULL THROTTLE and never would settle down to watch shows or read books. Finally, at 3:30 he had reached his limit and we had to leave because he was being too loud and I felt like Shaina couldn't rest with us there. He was asleep in the car by 3:43. We got home a little after 4:00 and I let the car idle for almost an hour and a half, while we both slept in the driveway. Worn. Plum. Out.

Needless to say, I didn't want to cook dinner, so after Matt suggested frozen pizza, I suggested chinese food delivered. Because frankly, the walking to the basement freezer to get the pizza, getting out a pizza pan, preheating the oven, sticking it in, cutting it, and cleaning the pan were just too much. I told Matt that carbs delivered were the perfect fix to a long day. (And let me state here that I would never ever ever abandon my first love of Mexican food as my preferred carb loading sustenance, but alas, they do not deliver.)

Thankful Shaina is okay, and also thankful to have gotten to spend my Mom's entire birthday with her, even if it was in a hospital. Happy Birthday Mom/Nana! We love you!

No comments: