Monday, August 15, 2011

camping trip, part one

Shwoo. I am worn out, but we had such a good time this weekend. I know you’re all wondering so I’ll just tell you now. Yes, I cried like a baby when I had to leave Jonah. I’m not ashamed. I missed him like crazy, but it was nice to miss him… if that makes any sense.

Anyway, it was a super great trip, and we had so much fun. On the way there, we stopped in Lewisville, because I had forgotten to get cash and needed to stop at a Cashpoints. The ATM was in a shopping center, and in the shopping center there was this little restaurant called “Alex’s”. There was a sign out front advertising their gyros. Peyton made some comment about how good gyros are. I concurred. And from the back seat two naive little voices said, almost in unison, “I’ve never had a gyro."

“Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?”

So while I got cash, Peyton, in his infinite big brother wisdom, sent Sarah in to get a gyro. Well, wouldn’t you know it came with a big ol’ heap of seasoned fries. Yessiree. So as we started our drive up to Boone, we passed that glorious beef and lamb gyro around the car,  alternating bites and eating French fries. I have no idea who Alex is, but this I know. Homeboy can make a gyro.  The girls agreed.

I don’t know of many trips that begin with a community gyro. But if that was wrong, I don’t want to be right. I knew right then it was going to be a ridiculously great weekend.

When we arrived, we checked in, bought some firewood, and went to our campsite. 

We had two sites, right on the creek and were surrounded on all sides with RV’s. We were a little disappointed to be in “fake camping” world, but after seeing where the rest of the tents were, we were so happy with our peaceful creek side sites. It ended up being really quiet, private, and awesome. The other tent sites were on top of each other with no separation, and kids were everywhere. Now, I don’t mind (some) kids, but it was nice, considering the nature of the trip, to be in a more quiet location.



We set up our tents, unpacked, and while the lighting was so good, we propped the camera and took a couple of photos.



Then Peyton made a kick-butt fire, and we roasted hot dogs for dinner. 


Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

What letter are we on again?

We had hot dogs, chips, pasta salad (recipe coming soon!), and amazing strawberry and cream cheese icing topped chocolate chip cookie pie...
I'm sayin'.

Very. Good. Food. I also bought each of us a bag of our favorite candy. Gummy Savers for Shaina, Skittles for Sarah, and Sour Patch Kids for Peyton and me. (I won't tell you that Peyton and I, almost single (double?) handedly, downed three bags of Sour Patch Kids this weekend. Because that would be gross.)


After dinner, we started a game of Mountain Rummy. And then I took really up close photos of my siblings. They were really happy about it. (Don't worry, guys. I put this retro affect on them so it's less obvious we're not wearing makeup. I know you were really worried about that, Sh... ahem, Peyton.)


We played about half a game and then decided to call it a night. I was kicking butt and taking names. It must have worn them out.


And then we went to bed. The End (for now).

No comments: