The PICC line attempt did not work last night. I had prayed over Jonah before leaving and cried out to God all the way home that if it was not a good thing, it wouldn't work out. And it didn't work out. I felt really nervous about it, and all I kept thinking was, "Trust your instincts." Last night was probably the most scared I've been since those first couple days when we didn't know what was going on. The neonatologists think the umbilical line will be okay for a while longer (they can have them for up to 30 days), but pediatric surgery is wanting to put in a broviac - a central line in his chest. For this, he would have to be completely sedated, paralyzed and intubated. To me, this is a last resort, and I've said no to it until the neonatologists get to the point where they think it's necessary too. I feel like we're just on the verge of him consistently eating - I just want to give it a couple more days if possible.
The biggest development today is that they want to begin doing Jonah's dressing changes in the evenings - around 7 or 8 pm. They hope that, in doing this, he can be sedated more over night and more alert during the day, so that he can eat. I'm pretty excited about that idea as it should make his feeding go well and will give me more eye snuggle time during the day. Part of doing it during the day is that the occupational therapist comes and works with him, doing exercises for his hands and feet to keep them functional. He's starting to pull in his thumbs a little from being bandaged all the time, and he's starting to keep his feet pulled up a certain way. When they start doing the changes at night, I'll probably be taking over the OT's role, since they are not on call 24 hours like the others.
- To beautiful, wonderful, diligent Dr. Heather Furlong for agreeing to be Jonah's primary doctor. (Being at a teaching hospital, the doctors rotate every two weeks, and I was feeling uneasy about the turnover). I trust her completely, love the way she seeks out answers, takes suggestions, but makes her own final decisions based on HER instincts. I'm so glad to have her on Jonah's case. I feel a huge weight lifted off my own shoulders, knowing that there will be an ultimate somebody that can make a final decision when I can't. I have just felt pulled in different directions, getting different advice from a lot of different places - I just need a constant. Thanks, Dr. Heather for being our constant here at the hospital. Jonah, Matt, and I LOVE you.
Please continue to pray that Jonah will eat. We are only days away from a broviac or g-tube or something more invasive if he doesn't start consistently eating on his own. Plus, there are some risks with the umbilical line, so we need to get that thing out as soon as possible.
Pray for wisdom and discernment for the doctors, and that God will heal Jonah through their hands and modern medicine.
Pray for peace for me and Matt. Matt is coming out after work today (only to the waiting room) to be with me and will be staying at home from here on out. He's not 100%, but these last couple days have been way too heavy for me to bear without him. Please pray that I will resist getting whatever he has, and thank you for praying for his health - he's feeling better!